Where I am Spending my online and Why?

Well I have decided to check where I spend most of online time. You know Google Chrome and Firefox can do that for you so I took their results and my own analysis.
  1. GMX (Global Mail Exchange): My main server. I started using it about 2 years ago when I found out its ad on a PC world page. What attracted me to it was that I could actually have myname@gmx.us, I can have more than one address with the same inbox and it was FREE. Back then the user interface was bad and it took forever to load but I liked that it was desktop like. Now with their new home page, fast loading time, support of POP3/IMAP, largest set of available Arabic addresses and being ads free I recommend it to everyone.
  2. Google Reader: Until 2 months ago I used My Yahoo! to read the feeds I liked. It had a lot of drawbacks, if you have more than 10 feeds you'll spend a lot of time trying to reach them, the boxes were are not a good idea for blogs feeds, actually it was not built to handle 100 feeds with updates happening every minute. But with Google Reader it's all there. I can read all the blogs I like, check all the news and even skip the ones I don't like easily, share what I liked and star links for future use.
  3. FriendFeed: So I wanted to share links I like with friends and found that Google Reader was not enough. A friend recommended FriendFeed. It's that coolest way to share everything on the web. So Facebook is too social, google reader is not alive enough and you can't share everything on those two but with friendfeed you can share everything from facebook comments and google reader shared items to delicious bookmarks and flickr images. Also you can follow some very interesting groups and get links and news that you won't find otherwise.
  4. Twitter: I am pretty new to twitter as I did get it untill 2 weeks ago when I started to follow tweets on FriendFeed. Usually I shared my personal messages on Yahoo messenger and Live Messenger (I don't use facebook as it is too public) but with twitter it's fun to share those 140 charchters to tell people what you're doing.
  5. Google Analytics: Syntax and Semantic is not that famous but I like to know everyday before I sleep how the one or two who visited my blog found it and some information about them. Also I like every now and then get an overview of how my blog is doing.
  6. OSUM Network (Open Source University Meetup Network): As most of frequent readers of my blog know I am a Sun Campus Ambassador and OSU
    M is the social network made for Sun Microsystems by Ning for Sun's open source community of students and academic staff. I usually post their my seminars and presentations and check what is happening on the network.
  7. Facebook: I guess I can't say about anything that you don't already know.
I hope that you'd share with me your online habits and your opinions of the websites I mentioned.

Comments

  1. nice post man , you know we have common websites we visit :D.
    anyway here's my list
    http://marwanosman.blogspot.com/2009/05/yet-another-where-i-am-spending-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty good, and the one i like most is FriendFeed. I started using it, thanks to you :)
    Good job saeed

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Integrating Click Router and GNURadio

Attaching a WiFi Dongle to an AR Drone 2.0 (a.k.a. Compiling Drivers for ARM Based Devices)

CUDA compilation on Linux (Makefiles)